Recognized for his fine art portrait photography, artist Michael Søndergaard (Danish, b. 1988) excels at capturing the power of vulnerability and the process of continually discovering and accepting oneself. To reveal these motifs, Søndergaard employs performative photography.
Thematically concerned with ideas of expressing and defining identity and gender, Søndergaard produces ominously dark and eloquently beautiful portraits of fragile yet powerful subjects. His work is informed by a personal and academic interest in religious studies, reflecting this through symbolism found in elements such as feathers, special fabric or face marks.
- Rite, London – september 2019
- Galerie Biesenbach, Cologne – july 2019
- The Ravestijn Gallery, Amsterdam – march 2019
- Haute Photographie, Rotterdam – february 2019
- Project Room, Copenhagen – November 2018
- NW gallery, Copenhagen – November 2018
- The Hospital Club, London – September 2018
- Rite, London – september 2019 (in production)
- Room of Secrets, Copenhagen – nov 2018
- Boys! boys! boys! limited edition book – sep 2018
- The year / Aaret – copenhagen – jul 2018
- Birds fly, short 2019 (in production)
- Hotel boy, short 2018